The late May bank holiday and half term is on it’s way and you may be wondering what to do with the kids whilst they are off school. There are plenty of activities going on in and around Bracknell. Here are our favourites:
FestivalsBracknell Ale & Cider Festival
, Bracknell Rugby Football Club, Lily Hill Park – Sunday 27th May 2018 12pm-10pm. This child-friendly event is a delight every year. There are lots of different ales, ciders and wines to try for the adults, and of course soft drinks are in a plentiful supply too. There will be live music and a great atmosphere, and lots of space for the little ones to run about. £8 adults (£6 in advance).
The Festival of Food & Music
, South Hill Park – Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd June 2018. 10am-6pm (5pm on Sunday). The ever-popular festival at South Hill Park has food stalls to delight every palate, live music and lots of children’s activities, all based on the lawn of this spectacular local venue. FREE. (charges may apply at individual stalls).
Half Term Events at the River & Rowing Museum, Henley
– 29th May – 1st June. There will be lots of events going on in addition to the regular attractions of this family-friendly museum (See here for a review of what’s on offer!
) this half-term. There will be events such as 200 Hippos, Toad’s Travels, Weaving Wonders and Shimmering Shells!
The Wedding Bells of Windsor, Windsor Castle
– Monday 28th May 2018, 11am – 4pm. Following on from the huge Royal Wedding celebration for Harry & Meghan, Windsor Castle will be holding a special event celebrating royal weddings past and present. There will be music, storytelling, a meet and greet with soldiers from the Household Cavalry and also art activities where children can create their own wedding bouquet. Admission free with a standard Windsor Castle entry ticket.
TheatresHalf Term Activities, South Hill Park, Bracknell
– 28th May – 1st June 2018. South Hill Park offer a jam-packed schedule for half-term. There will be arts & crafts activities and workshop and also two theatrical productions for (you and) your children to enjoy. AnimAlphabet The Musical is back in town after a successful run at the 2017 Edinburgh Fringe and you can also join Alice in Wonderland in a musical adaption from Berkshire Arts Academy (BARTA).
Half Term at Norden Farm, Maidenhead
– 28th May – 1st June 2018. There is lots here to keep all ages entertained over the school holidays. Here’s a flavour of some of the events that you could be enjoying:
- Children are Stinky – Monday 28th May – This is a live action comedy show packed with lightning fast hula-hooping, dare-devil balances, astounding strength and incredible acrobatics. All set to a 90’s music soundtrack (so enjoyable for the parents too!)
- Keepy Uppy – Wednesday 30th May – a show based on the world-cup with popping rhymes, footie moves, side-steps, flicks and live music.
- Concertini – Friday 1st June – Half term’s Concertini is hosted by local musician Rob Castell, the resident songwriter for CBBC’s BAFTA nominated show ‘Officially Amazing’.
SportsBracknell Trampoline Centre, Bracknell
– 30th May & 1st June. There will be special half-term fun sessions for up to age 6 and also age 4-8 years. See website for further details and for pre-booking. You can read about our wonderful experiences at Bracknell Trampoline Centre
in one of our previous blogs. There will be trampolining, climbing, a bouncy castle, toys and crafts to enjoy. £4 for children, 25p for adults.
Elite Prep Centre Fun Weeks, Bracknell
– 29th May – 1st June 2018. Elite Prep Centre will be holding fun weeks with football, talent shows and games. These will be held at Bracknell Town FC and Wildridings Primary School.
Half-Term at The Lexicon, BracknellMeet The Mr Men & Little Misses, The Avenue, Bracknell
– 30th – 31st May 2018. Characters from the Mr Men & Little Miss books will be appearing at intervals around the Lexicon between 11am and 4pm on both days. We can’t wait to ‘bump’ into you-know-who! Mr Bump of course!
– 29th May – 1st June 2018. Fenwick will be hosting a week’s worth of special events aimed at children in their store at The Lexicon, Bracknell. There will be meet and greets with ‘Bearamy’ at Build-a-Bear Workshop, a pizza making workshop at Fuego, aqua beads play session, face-painting and lots more.
Best of the RestOpen Days, Millers Ark Farm, Hook, Hampshire
– (See website for dates and times. Includes dates in May half-term). This is a hands-on farm where visitors can go in to every pen and cuddle lambs, baby goats, groom donkeys, play in the outdoor playbarn and lots more. Entry is £8 for adults and for children aged 2 and over Children under 2 are free.
May Half Term Activities, Holme Grange Craft Village, Wokingham
– 26th – 31st May 2018. Holme Grange will be hosting a number of events this May half-term including reptile encounters, face-painting and the ever-popular pony rides with Santolina Stables. The village will be hosting it’s annual vintage day on Sat 26th May from 12-4pm. There will be live music from big band The Liquorice Allsorts and a saxophone quartet. Vintage and military vehicles will be attending and there will also be face-painters, a BBQ and bar. There will also be prizes for the best dressed vintage clothed visitors (male and female). It promises to be a fantastic event.
Wellington Country Park, Riseley nr Reading
– 28th May – 1st June. This half term is ‘Nature Activity Week’ where children can explore the great outdoors and get creative. Activities include pond wildlife workshops, mini-beast sessions, outdoor explorer sessions and petting sessions at the animal farm amongst others.
We hope we’ve provided you with lots of May half-term inspiration in this post! When you are at home, for some quiet time or because the weather isn’t playing fair, we can recommend indoor craft activities from Mrs Mactivity
. We hope that you manage to have lots of fun with your families. Let us know what you get up to or if there’s any more activities you can suggest in the comments box below.