The kids haven’t long been back for the new year but the February half term is on its way and you may be wondering what to do with the children whilst they are off school. There are plenty of activities going on in and around Warwickshire. Here are some ideas of what you can do during the February 2019 Half Term in Warwick, Leamington Spa, Stratford-upon-Avon, Coventry and the surrounding areas.
Museums and Libraries
- Bears in the Wild: Relaxed Opening at Warwickshire Museum, Market Hall Museum, Warwick – Monday 18th February 2019 @ 2 p.m – Discover the bear activities and visit the museum whilst it is closed to the general public. Suitable for visitors who would benefit from a more relaxed museum environment, all welcome. A quiet space will be available during the event. Further information about your visit, including a visual story, will be provided in advance. Spaces limited and must be booked in advance online.
- Arty Tots: Teddy Bears at Warwickshire Museum, Market Hall Museum, Warwick – Tuesday 19th February 2019 @ 10 a.m – See the teddy bears on display at the museum and make some terrific crafts to take home. Suitable for under-5s, older siblings welcome. £2.50 per child, no need to book just drop in.
- Happy Turtles at Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum, Warwick – Thursday 21st February 2019 @ 1.30 p.m – Join us for a fun half-term children’s event to make a cute brightly coloured turtle using craft materials. Drop-in activity. Normal admission charge applies. All ages welcome, most suitable for 4 – 10 year olds. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Art Cart Family Fun at Leamington Spa Art Gallery and Museum, Leamington Spa – Saturday 23rd February 2019 @ 1 p.m – Come along to the gallery and enjoy an activity from our Art Cart. Mixed Media water Collages Inspired by our exhibition ‘only ever almost there’. Suitable for the whole family. Free, drop in and join in!
- Teddy Bear Sleepover and Story Stomp at Leamington Library, Leamington Spa – Monday 18th February 2019 @ 4 p.m and Tuesday 19th February @ 10.30 a.m. The teddies at Leamington Library invite your teddies to come for a sleepover at the library on Monday 18th February starting at 4 p.m with a bedtime story and pick up Tuesday morning at 10.30 a.m at a special Story Stomp. Places are limited. Please contact the library for further information.
- Young Shakespeare’s Stratford – Kate’s Storytree ‘Story in a Jar’ at Shakespeare’s Schoolroom and Guildhall, Stratford – Thursday 21st February 2019 @ 10.30 a.m. Like Shakespeare’s stories of As You Like It and A Winter’s Tale, we will be creating our own magic by making Story Jars. All you need is you and your story. We will provide all the materials you need to help capture your story in a jar and then it is yours to take home. Starting at Stratford Library and moving to Shakespeare’s Schoolroom & Guildhall along the very route William would have trodden as he made his way to school in Church Street from his home in Henley Street. FREE but tickets must be booked in advance.
Suitable for all primary school aged children, who must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- The Science of Power – February Half Term Fun at British Motor Museum, Gaydon – Saturday 16th February – Sunday 22nd February 2019. Come and find out about the Museum’s jet powered cars, have a go at making a jet powered car yourself! And enjoy our daily science shows with Professor Pickle and Doctor Pumpkin who will bring the science of power to life with a BANG! Admission charges apply, see website for details.
- Frosty Fairy and Elf Adventure at Ryton Pools Country Park, Coventry – Monday 18th February 2019 @ 1.30 p.m.Come and make a magic frosty willow wand and join the Snowman on his quest to help save the Fairies. Booking required. Suitable for age 3+.
- Pine Cone Feeders at Ryton Pools Country Park, Coventry – Tuesday 19th February 2019 @ 10.30 a.m. Come and get messy having a go at making your own pine cone feeders to feed the birds in your garden during the cold weather! Wear old clothing as things may get messy. Booking required. Suitable for age 3+.
- Pirate Blackbeard’s Great Ruby Quest at Ryton Pools Country Park, Coventry – Wednesday 20th February 2019 @ 10.30 a.m. Pirate Blackbeard is the most famous of the legendary Ryton pirates! Come and help us uncover the mystery of his long lost treasure. Prepare for the quest by making your own pirate hat before venturing out. Tickets required. Suitable for ages 3+.
- Frosty Campfire, Dens & S’mores at Ryton Pools Country Park, Coventry – Friday 21st February 2019. Come and have some fun discovering how to design and build your own woodland shelter that’s camouflaged, big enough for your team and waterproof…. ish!! Then, children and rangers will light a small fire and toast some marshmellows for some S’mores! Tickets required. Suitable for ages 3+.
- Knights and Princesses at Kenilworth Castle, Kenilworth – Saturday 16th – Sunday 24th February 2019. Step back in time over 400 years and imagine life at Kenilworth’s tudor palace. Test your steel with sword skills, show us your best tudor moves and experience the best bits of life as a young tudor royal. Normal admission fee applies, see website for details.
- Stratford NCT Buggy Walk, Stratford-upon-Avon – Tuesday 19th February 2019 @ 10.30 a.m. This 1-mile Buggy Walk, through the scenic Recreation Park, takes approx 30 minutes. It ends at The Other Place, where we enjoy a well-earned rest with a range of cakes and caffeine at the lovely Susie’s Cafe. With plenty of seating – and space for buggies – it also has a kid’s corner with colouring and activities. Perfect for all the family! There’s no age limit for our walks – for child or walker! – everyone is welcome. Meet at the bandstand.
- Hatton Adventure World, Hatton – Saturday 16th – Sunday 24th February 2019. Always a popular choice with families, there is lots of fun to be had at Hatton this half term. Falconry displays, funfair rides, guinea pig handling, soft play and lots more can be enjoyed here. Admission fee applies, see website for details.
- Warwick Castle, Warwick – Saturday 16th – Sunday 24th February 2019. Witness the return of daily live-action shows. The Mighty Trebuchet Show, The Bowman Show, Horrible Histories Maze and the Daily Birds of Prey Show are some of the things that you can look forward to as part of your castle ticket. Admission fee applies, see website for details.
Clubs & Classes
- Saturday Family Art Class – ZOG inspired ARTventure, St Barbara’s Church, Coventry – Saturday 23rd February @ 10 a.m. Exploring, creating, crafting, singing and dancing. Suitable for babies aged 6 months to children aged 8 years. £8.50 per child including refreshments. **Please note that this event is now FULLY BOOKED**.
- Stagecoach Performing Arts Half Term Workshop, Leamington Spa – Thursday 19th February 2019 @ 9.30 a.m. A 1 day Mamma Mia Masterclass with International Mamma Mia Actress Sarah Harlington, who will work with the Stagecoach Team. Sarah is currently on an International tour with Mamma Mia and has appeared in Spamalot, Avenue Q, Sister Act and Fame! Students will learn skills and a song and dance from the show and put them together for a performance at 3.45pm!
- Sing and Sign Valentine’s Special, Play Planet, Stratford-upon-Avon – Saturday 16th February @ 10.30 a.m. Suitable for ages 6-24 months. Find out more about Sing & Sign and enjoy a Valentine’s themed class, with songs about love, family & emotions. £7.50 – Including FREE entry to the wonderful soft play after the class.
- Escape Arts presents David Walliams inspired Art Camp – Gangsta Granny, The Old Slaughterhouse, Stratford-upon-Avon – Monday 18th February 2019 10 a.m. Hunt down the crown jewels with Gangsta Granny. Suitable for children aged 5-13. Places cost £25 per child, sibling discounts and concessions available. Booking is required.
Arts and Entertainment
- Birmingham Royal Ballet – Beauty and the Beast, Birmingham Hippodrome – Tuesday 19th February – Saturday 2nd March 2019. A magical fairy tale brought to life. Tickets from £18.
- Billionaire Boy The Musical, Belgrade Theatre, Coventry – Wednesday 20th – Saturday 23rd February 2019. This hilarious new musical is a triumphant treat for the whole family, based on the bestselling book by David Walliams. Can money really buy happiness?
- Raver Tots, Empire, Coventry – Sunday 24th February 2019 @ 2.00 p.m. Have a fun day out with the family this half term and take your kids raving! Join us for Raver Tots at Empire Coventry with Kenny Ken and MC Chalkie White where there will be tons of fun for the whole family!
- Kite, Warwick Arts Centre, Coventry – Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th February 2019 @ 2.30 p.m and 7 p.m. Inspired by the world of indoor-kite flying Kite is a play without words, with original music, dance, puppetry and, of course, kites.
- Family Week – February Half Term at FarGo Village, Coventry – Monday 18th – Friday 22nd February 2019. FarGo will be bringing you a range of different workshops and activities to get you through the February half-term! Every day there will be fun family games inside of the Market Hall such as giant snakes and ladders, connect four and plenty of board games.
- Elmer the Patchwork Elephant, Royal Spa Centre, Leamington Spa – Friday 22nd February 2019 @ 4 p.m. The show features a menagerie of 21 lovable puppets, tells the tale of an elephant that stands out – both with his patchwork-coloured skin and his sense of humour – but ultimately realizing that his friends have always valued his unique characteristics. The show’s subtle message that it is always best to be yourself, combined with the vibrant colour and cheeky humour of the main character, makes Elmer a great show for children of all ages from 1+.
- Brainiac Live Detective Academy, Leamington Assembly, Leamington Spa – Sunday 17th – Wednesday 20th February 2019. Strap on your safety goggles boys and girls, due to popular demand Science’s greatest and most volatile live show is returning with a vengeance. Described as ‘The Science Museum meets Top Gear’.
- Family Pottery Painting at The Craft Studio, Kineton – Friday 22nd February 2019 @ 10 a.m. Come along to design and paint your own unique animal, mug, plate, etc. This is a fun and creative activity for all the family at the Methodist Hall, Southam Street, Kineton, CV35 0LN.
- The Chocolate Shed Workshops, Yew Tree Farm Craft Centre, Wootton Wawen – Wednesday 20th – Friday 22nd February 2019. The Chocolate Shed specialises exclusively in running brilliantly fun and sticky chocolate making workshops.
Stratford upon Avon
- Bohemian Rhapsody Sing-along, Stratford Picturehouse, Stratford-upon-Avon – Sunday 24th February 2019 @ 5.30 p.m. Bohemian Rhapsody is a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury. Sing-Along with Queen in these special screenings with the song lyrics shown live on screen.
Best of the Rest
- West Midlands Police Lock-Up Open Day, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham – Tuesday 19th February 2019 @ 2.30 p.m. During your one and a half hour timeslot you can browse freely around the facility, look in the cells and find out more about some of the Victorian prisoners who stayed here. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children’s Quiz Afternoon, Fenny Compton Village Hall – Wednesday 20th February 2019 @ 2.30 p.m. Stuck for things to do during the February Half Term? Join us on Wednesday afternoon in the warmth of Fenny Compton Village hall for an afternoon of quizzing and crafting with the brilliant Arty Splats Warwickshire! £5 per child. It is all for a good cause too because all proceeds will go to Abacus Pre-School.
- Mary’s Spoonful of Sugar Afternoon Tea, Spangles Tea Room, Leamington Spa – Saturday 16th February @ 12.30 p.m. A practically splendid afternoon tea to celebrate your favourite movies 50th anniversary.
- Dinky’s Play Cafe, Leamington Spa – Open Monday – Saturday 10 a.m – 5 p.m. Dinky’s is a delightful cafe in Leamington complete with baby area and soft play frame suitable for age 3-8 year olds, so you can enjoy a cafe whilst your little ones are entertained.
- JNB Gymnastics Academy Holiday Camp, Pathlow, Stratford-upon- Avon – Monday 18th – Friday 22nd February 2019. A whole week’s worth of gymnastics and dance fun. £25 per day or £100 for the week. Suitable for age 4+. For younger children, the popular Mum, Dad and Me sessions will also be running through half-term week so you can still let your child burn off steam! See their Facebook page for further details.
We hope we’ve provided you with lots of February half-term inspiration in this post! When you are at home, for some quiet time or because the weather isn’t playing fair, we can recommend indoor craft activities from Mrs Mactivity and Squidgydoodle. We hope that you manage to have lots of fun with your families. Let us know what you get up to or if there’s any more activities you can suggest in the comments box below or by joining the conversation on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. Enjoy!