Conversation starters: How to ask your child about their day at school
Learning1. What did you learn today that you didn’t know this morning?
2. What was the trickiest thing you had to do today?
3. Tell me about your favourite thing that you did in the classroom today.
4. Were you bored in any of your lessons?
5. Did any of your classmates do anything funny?
6. Tell me about what book(s) you read in class.
7. What is your favourite part of your classroom?
8. What did you do today that was creative?
9. Did you need to ask your teacher for help with anything?
10. Can you show me something you did today?
11. Did your teacher say well done to you today or did you earn any rewards? How did that make you feel?
Playtime12. Who did you play with today? What did you play?
13. Do you or your friends have any special talents?
14. Who makes you laugh the most?
15. Can you tell me an example of kindness you saw or showed today?
16. Was there anyone who was unkind today? What did you do?
17. What is the best game to play together in the playground?
18. What words would your classmates use to describe you?
19. Where is the best place to play at breaktime?
20. What’s your favourite game to play on a rainy day?
Lunchtime21. Tell me who you sat with at lunch. Did they eat the same as you?
22. What was the tastiest thing in your school dinner today?
School life in general23. Tell me about the best part of your day. What made you smile?
24. Did anything make you upset or angry today?
25. Who inspired you today?
26. What made you proud?
27. How did someone fill your bucket today? Whose bucket did you fill?
28. If you could change one thing about school, what would it be?
29. What makes your teacher happy?
30. What are you looking forward to most about tomorrow at school?